Friday 4 April 2014

One does not simply make a blog.

It's been years since I first sparked an interest in blogging. Yes, I was one of those teenage girls who typed 'kawaii blogs' into Google and spent hours reading through the blogs of others. I was fascinated by clay charms, cute foods and anything anime and I have a feeling that most girls (or maybe it was just me..) goes through this stage.

Every Summer, I would write out a list of 'things to do' and blogging would always be there on my list. So why has it taken me almost 8 years to start my first blog? Well, the answer is simple. One does not simply make a blog.

Yes I know, there are going to be lots of people who scoff at my answer. I understand that ANYONE can make a blog. There are plenty of free blogging platforms such as Tumblr and Wordpress out there on the internet. All you need to do is sign up, right?

Wrong. Writing a blog takes quite a bit of skill and creativity. Not only do you need to invest time and effort into writing a blog, but you also need to write about something that captures the interest of others. Finding a market of people who find your writing interesting is a very difficult thing to do. There are just so many bloggers out there that the internet has become cluttered with topics and topics to choose from. It becomes very competitive to drive interest towards your blog if someone has already written about the same thing but in a better way.

A graduate from eWeb Marketing once told me that the aim of a blog was to generate viewers and get your name out there. Do I want hundreds of people to read my blog and know my name? Not really...In fact, I don't even care if people find my blog interesting or not. People blog to entertain, to educate, to make a statement to others, but I'm just blogging for myself.

This is my way of dealing with ups and downs of life. Writing has always been an enjoyable activity for me so why not make something of it? I guess the next question is: what will I blog about? To be honest I don't have a clear idea of a topic or theme. Maybe I should pursue my dream of always wanting to write a kawaii blog? Or maybe not...I sure don't want to keep blogging about blogging.



No comments:

Post a Comment