Tuesday 15 April 2014

Turtle Bread Charm

A while ago I went to a Chinese bakery and saw that they were selling sweet turtle shaped breads and that inspired me to make my own turtle breads! I might have mentioned this before, but I really love making cute foods whether they're real or made with clay so here was another one of my projects that I completed quite a while ago.

The turtle bread that I ate from the Chinese bakery was very different to the ones that I made. They were made from plain sweet bread and had some sort of chocolate filling inside. I decided to twist the recipe a bit and make my bread more like the Melon breads that they sell in Japan. This meant that there was a crunchy cookie layer on top of the soft bread. If you look at the photo, the green layer is made of cookie and the body of the turtle is from sweet bread. In the end you get this awesome combination of textures and flavours and it was really cute and delicious!


Yes you can actually eat these ^o^

Now it has been a few months since I made that batch of turtle bread. I haven't been in the mood for baking lately and decided for this blog post, I would make a little clay charm of the turtle breads that I baked back then.

You'll need to do this in two steps. I first made the body of the turtle with brown coloured clay then attached a separate layer of green clay on top to make the cookie crust. If you look at the charm from the side you can see that the green layer actually sits on top and resembles the baked bread in the previous photo.  Add a little smiley face to the turtle, glaze it and then you're done! Maybe some pictures will help.

Into the glaze tin

Completed charm!

 Hehe it has a stupid face.

Oh no! We have a flipped turtle here.

Incase you didn't see it's silly face, here's a close up :)

And the side! (Top layer as described)

So there you have a little turtle bread charm. Too bad I don't have an actual baked turtle bread to compare it with but hopefully you can see the resemblance from the photos ^-^.


No comments:

Post a Comment